poison

poison

A Rainbow in the Dark (The Accidental Killer #2) - S.L. Walker After finishing [b:Becoming Brittany|18201218|Becoming Brittany (The Accidental Killer #1)|S.L. Walker|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1375458042s/18201218.jpg|25612200], I read this one right after. My review of Brittany should tell the story of how I felt about it, but suffice it to say I thought Rainbow was the stronger book. Blame Goodreads for identical ratings, as this one is a 3.5 star for me. (I round down, on GR)

Alright, lets quickly discuss characters! Emma isn't in here all that much from a getting to know her point of view. Its clear she used to hang with Brittany when Brittany was doing drugs and random BDSM stuff? Brittany is the same as we've known, manipulative, deceitful and cruel. Richard is still an 18 year old boy, albeit one who enjoys beating and hurting women. Its way too early to refer to him as a Dom. He is a little bit less of a pussy here, which I guess you might call character growth? There are other supporting characters, but I'm not interested in them.

I am not sure I can describe the plot. Brittany wants Rick. I am not sure what she wants, in regards to Rick, like, I'm not sure if she fancies herself a Domme, and wants him as her sub, or if she thinks she's a switch, and wants to switch off with him, but she wants something. Maybe she doesn't know either, I mean, she's what, 19? Shenanigans ensue, with Brittany plotting to have him, and Rick falling for Emma, Brittany keeping Emma away from him, etc, which all leads to the big conclusion, another "accidental" killing perpetrated by Brittany. The book was suspenseful, for sure, and the suspense was well done.

The sex scenes are pretty good, and the "BDSM" scenes were also pretty good, in a "Not really BDSM, more abusive people doing spontaneous abusive stuff" sort of way. Everything sort of feels "Consentual non-consent" which is like, rape play, or whatever, in scene. They were definitely the best part of the book.

So, 3.5 stars, plot was thin, characters were slightly thin, suspense good and sex scenes good.